Thursday, February 20, 2014

From our Garden to our Kitchen

It's been couple of years since I started cooking full time. During this period I enjoyed not only cooking but also enjoying the food I cooked by myself. I started reading more and more about cooking techniques, recipes, collecting useful kitchen  accessories etc. So on recently I took an online class on nutrition which emphasized more on home cooking and its benefits. Taking that class raised my inspiration level for cooking. There was a small section about the kitchen garden in that class which made me dream for a kitchen garden at my terrace and use the same home grown herbs and veggies for cooking.
 I immediately  got started with sowing  few fenugreek seeds. After about a month, I plucked the leaves today and made Vada out of it. Oh my! The powerful aroma of home grown fenugreek leaves left me amazed…I was so happy, thrilled and my mouth was watering to taste the same while the Methi vadas were getting fried. Just to share my excitement of my  "Garden to Kitchen" story, the result is as below:



The recipe I used to prepare the (Fenugreek) Leaves vada  :

Ingredients:

  1. Finely chopped the fenugreek leaves (1/2 bunch if you buy from the market)
  2. Finely chopped 1 large onion
  3. Finely chopped 4-5 garlic cloves
  4. Finely chopped 3 green chillies
  5. 1 cup ( Besan )Chana dal flour
  6. 1/4  cup rice floor
  7. Salt as required

Method:

  1. Mix all the ingredients together and sprinkle just enough water (few drops may be)  so that the mixture could be molded into flat round balls
  2. Heat Oil and deep fry at a medium flame

Note: Since Onion releases water as soon as salt is added, add as little water as possible to get crispy vadas. Also fry as soon as the mixture is molded into flat round balls.

Hope you as well would enjoy  the result of my Garden to Kitchen experience!

Cheers,
Akshatha

No comments: