Thursday, December 13, 2012

Technology is getting crazy & Mankind is turning greedy



More than couple of months since I logged my thoughts. I got a mail as well from my friend about any new posts from my end , and I replied saying I am just busy for now with my Diwali Vacation and now post vacation trying hard studying for a exam that's just around the corner.  However some of my communication with my friends and family did not let this gap get wider. Just when I was having lunch this afternoon a strong urge to pen down my thoughts brought me here to write them up sacrificing my afternoon nap;).


So what's that I have got fascinated with , truly honestly, might sound silly too, yes it's the way I got to communicate with my parents, friends and a way to stay in touch round the clock with my dear ones. Gone are the days when distance made a huge difference in  communication.

I remember when I was in college 12 years back, I used to wait in the queue at the telephone booth after 11 p.m and wait for my turn to ring up home. Why such a wait till 11 p.m? Hmm It was that time when STD facility was too expensive and had cut offs like this, i.e from 8.30 a.m to 8.30 p.m full rate after 8.30 p.m half rate and beyond 11 p.m quarter charge…

The frequency of calls used to be once in 2 or 3 days and when sometimes when I used to feel homesick OMG I just used to keep staring at the clock when it would tick 11 p.m to talk leisurely at low cost with my parents.

And on the other hand if I had to hear from my parents, that was difficult and slow too, I really had to wait for a call from our hostel warden when our hostel landline  rings, but that too was a tough chance as we are so many in the hostel and most of the time line used to be busy .

It was during my final year of college, when I got a cell phone and then my parents  could talk to me when needed directly . Free SMS drove the college students crazy and also improved the chats among the close pals.

Then came the phase of my professional life, when I really got a advanced cell phone, easy to operate , several other features in one pack and I need not had to wait for STD cut off rates. Mobile providers did have good plans for STD calls and I was happy with that. Soon mobile took up a very important place in everybody's life that  anyone would feel handicapped without it.

Then with the advanced mobiles came a change in the internet was being accessed, mobile phones were able  to act as modems and  technology brought us internet just on the mobile phones….But we were not satisfied….Internet access charges through mobile was very high and hence could be afforded only incase of emergency.

But now what?? Era of touch technology, and internet and tablets….

With my married life set in I moved away from my parents and friends. Ok I have a phone to hear them when needed or visit a cyber cafĂ© and even have a video chat…Still it required time and money… I was disappointed sad that I was far away from home...

2G and 3G mobile connections were still expensive and therefore I looked for a cheaper way..
and then broadband connection came on my way, I set up internet at home and after several months since internet is set up at my hometown  I too got to do a video chat when needed with less cost…

What next…Then came the curiosity for WiFi? If there is wifi all time on my mobile then I could be online round the clock with broadband connection at home and my friends/family could just ping when needed...I could get notified with my all time companion mobile :).Why I should I always come to the PC and switch on chat..ah it takes some work..can't I get that on mobile..

With my Smart phone I got that done..and now it was easy to receive chats/pings just on my mobile…a beep on my mobile connects me to my friend or home at least for few mins in case I am busy with cooking or work…

So the days went by like this happy happy…

Now what…My brother being overseas and some of close friends overseas as well I am not able to call them when I want..why expensive again…hence just call them only when needed..

But now with yet another softwares in the last couple of days I got to make international free call/free SMS . Before I used to talk to my brother or friends overseas once on 2 weeks or a month…But now, I am so happy as I could just call them/text them free of cost just with a internet connection and a smart phone….

All these things make me think, with the technology getting crazier, we are getting lazier and our curiosity makes us greedier….Why greedy…

Yes..couple of months back we bought a smart phone which does not have a dual camera..since mobile internet was expensive, we dropped the idea of video call on mobile phones and tried to save money…

But now with all such facilities still I think ah we could have got a dual camera phone and having that I could have just had video call from mobile phone itself..what a changeover??

Not only this, When I see people buy phones like Fashionable clothes..oops…I see that now it's time for a smart phone or tablet in every single man's hand…..There is one tablet in every house...smart phones with most...

And I am as well not so good that I make paid calls when I have a way for free calls….With technology growing at this pace, I am sure most would agree we always look for what's cheaper , freely available and not just satisfied with whatever magical features come in our way…

To conclude I would say, without these healthy greedy needs, technology would not have grown this crazier and faster..Hatsoff and thanks to all the Magicians behind this crazy revolution…

Cheers,
Akshatha


No comments: