Thursday, September 20, 2012

Being Housewife is not that bad, it's a luxury indeed


Recently I stumbled on a post by Chetan Bhagat, being circulated frequently in Facebook my many. The status update titled "Girls should read and Boys MUST read". I got curious and read it too. However when I read I was disappointed a bit and just ignored as each one has his/her personal view.

But then in the next couple  of days when I saw the same post being shared by many other girls and when I came across one another incident which shared similar rays, I could not just refrain from shouting here "Wake up girls, Being housewife is not that bad, it's a luxury indeed".

It's true every boy looks for or likes to have a ideal Indian wife, which means he expects mainly to have home made food cooked by his wife, seek every single personal attention of care from his wife…What's wrong with such an expectation infact that is love that binds husband and wife more closer and thicker…and we are so by nature ie man to work to run the family and women to nurture the family with love.

Now this does not mean that a housewife is just restricted within the 4 walls and personally attend just her husband all the time and while away her life. 

True, in the modern times, women have been empowered to have good education, go for professional jobs and excel in many fields as compared to the olden times.Gone are the days when women were meant to carry out only household works.  However with this increase in empowerment, I feel modern girls have got carried away with career opportunities, the recognition/rewards it brings in and have forgotten to live the lovely personal life like our ancestors lived.

While I was searching  for a wedding alliance for my brother I was yet again surprised to see, that none of the girls are ready to give up their current job and seek another challenge or move to the next level of life.  Each one wants to stay where she is. Even I did pass by the  same road, means at one point I was not ready to give up my career, leave back  the recognitions I had gained in my field and then move up to the next level of life, ie marriage. I was afraid of re-establishing myself or getting caught behind the walls of family life.

 But I was lucky enough to get educated by my parents as to what is a marriage life and how actually the life partner's are meant for each other and arrive at a right decision.. I did leave my job and got ready to get married. Still  once I left the job, than feeling excited about the wedding, I was most often accompanied by feelings like fear of staying restricted within the 4 walls as a housewife or feeling jobless, missing the comforts of old office, missing old friends, missing financial independence and so on.

But now, not even a year gone by since my wedding, I am a proud housewife already and enjoy living it every single day in fact every single moment. Thanks to my husband for supporting me so much and helping me realize the sweetness of being a housewife. And hence when I read the line in Chetan's post "We may have less hot phulkas, but we will have a better nation" it pinched me a bit.

I am happy making hot phulkas for my husband which in turn keeps my husband happy, and so he never misses to reciprocate my love whenever he gets his chance, be it as simple as cutting few fruits and offering me or taking me out whenever he gets time  and so on together we live a beautiful life.  In fact understanding that I worked as software engineer before marriage and thinking I might get bored or so, he has got all the things that could keep me busy through out the day and help me pursue my possible dreams from home itself.

When I got engaged, one of my friend wished me, congratulations on your promotion. I just wondered how it's a promotion, instead it's kind of demotion and I am going to just sit at home and do some monotonous job, become dependent. No it's not so. I was wrong. It's now when I have understood, playing the role of housewife is the next challenge for every girl.

It gives each one a opportunity to come out of her comfort zone, take over the family responsibility, build a sweet home and also take up other career related challenges in her free time. With one's spouse 's , family support and with the power of growing technology every housewife is empowered to take up online jobs/studies from home, still manage to make hot phulkas and keep husband happy, teach her kids and get them smarter and thereafter create a beautiful world.

However with the modern age, with the growing power of benefits/facilities/recognition/money/rewards ones career brings, people outsource personal jobs like preparing food by self for the family, taking care of the kids to the helpers or elders of the family. This does not build a healthy family in my opinion. Instead it digs many pot holes within the family. There are many cases where the children get mentally disturbed if there is no personal care or by seeing any silly fights between mom and dad. A man does not get to spend time personally with his wife if she keeps running around for job and then working in the house taking care of her family. At one point the working women do get stressed with the house work too, that awaits them upon return from office.

Any working women could definitely feel independent, however at one point or the other has to depend on helpers/family members to take care of her  family. Most importantly she would have no time for self, any personal interests of her choice amidst the routine job/pressure at work/home.

However incase the financial conditions of the family require both husband and wife need to work, then we could not help, but otherwise being a housewife , you have the greatest opportunity to live the life to the fullest with your spouse's support. Yes, you would find time for study , work from home jobs, add personal touch to the family  and still excel higher to create a better world. No worries about losing financial independence, you would have abundant love from your husband and subsequently all your needs would be fulfilled much in advance before you ask for.

At last to conclude, with my experience I would say if every single home in the world is content and happy  with a close knit family, then we already have a better nation, no extra efforts  are required to build the same.



Cheers,

Mrs.Kamath

2 comments:

Unknown said...

V nice aks... yes if v work v r financially independent but yet very dependent....I liked the blog..

Akshatha said...

Thanks Sari..that's the fact!!