Wednesday, June 11, 2008

What I learnt from an Awe inspiring Leader

The day dawned as usual at 6.30 a.m yesterday and I rushed as quickly as possible to my aunts house....We had ethnic day planned in our team and had to wear a saree, for which my aunt had to help me.......

A mail comes to my inbox with the subject "Party" and I feel very sad looking at that. You might be shocked for a moment why to feel sad at the word "PARTY" rather than getting filled with excitement. Yes I was sad because it was a send off party for my awe inspiring leader who has always been guiding me and indirectly teaching me lot of good qualities via his action and way of working.

My whole team gathered at the CCD for the party.. I also joined in and was trying to have a hot sip of Capacuinno. In the next span of 20 minutes all the team members settled down with their hot/cold drinks and then started the hero of the party with his inspiring talk sharing his good/bad experience he had over the long stay in the current team. The talk went on for about 15 minutes, following which my manager and few other members shared few of their experience with our hero of the day. I was so overwhelmed by the inspiring talk that even I felt very responsible to say few words about the great person.

I was too emotional I guess for I cut my lines down to just 2 to 3 covering my learnings and the inspirations I drove from him. When we all departed from CCD wishing him good luck I felt very incomplete for not having shared the good thoughts completely. It is when our blogspot flashed in my mind and I immediately decided it was the right place to preserve the wonderful qualities I picked from such an awe inspiring leader. To start with the title of my post...

awe inspiring --> which means impressive, Fascinative why?? Whenever I read any personality development book or any motivative books, it was this personality that flashed in my mind when my eyes passed throug impressive lines.

Next jotting down the piece of advice or principle shared by him during the farewell talk.....

Whenever it comes to your growth keep the following in your mind and work:

1. Trust --> Trust your people around
2. Solve the current problem and then only leave for the next task or leave for the day
3. There is no enemy for you within your own world

Now..what I had picked up or observed when I worked with our hero:

  • Always enjoy the work you do, if you don't enjoy then inform your higher level and demand for more work rather than sitting idle
  • Ask questions if you do not understand anything
  • Keep yourself updated with the more details of the work around you. Always helps
  • Build good rapport with the people you support and work with
  • Be active and show all your capabilities at work
  • Read more books (Best ever energy boosting tonic I had)
  • Work while you work, enjoy while you enjoy
  • Do everything to the fullest
  • Plan and act at it fiercely to achieve your future goals
  • Try to learn or get anything out of whatever you come across in your daily life be it a movie (Watch "The Shawshank Redemption" if possible) or a person you talk with. There will be at least one good or bad thing you can learn. If it is good one learn to implement it and if it bad try to cut it off from you
  • Feel responsible for all the work you do
  • Be bold (assertive) and just shoot
  • Finally make yourself comfortable for others to such an extent that people should crave or long for your come back (There is one Thirukural in Tamil that portrays the same meaning i.e. "A good teacher talks sweetly, enjoys, teaches his disciples in such a way that when it's time for leave the disciples crave for his come back --> "Uuavapath Thalaikudiya Ulla Pirithal Anaithe Pulavar Thozhil") I can clearly whole heartedly attribute this to our hero here:
Now that it is time for his adieu we feel very sad for losing such a classic leader.

Last but not least, All these were never orated by the great person to me, Just his actions have reflected in the lines here. A big salute to him and I thank God at this point in time for having given me a chance to come across such a wonderful personality in my life....

Additionally it gives so much pride for me to write about this person himself in my blog who actually gave a drive/thought to me to start with this blogging activity!

Blogging rocks and Hats off to you Bathra!!


Cheers,
Akshatha


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

why need a leadership training paying lacs of money when we can already have it on job with such a person around us?